Wednesday, July 13, 2011

And So It Begins Again...

It's hard to believe the I am about to start another subject in my study as becoming a TL, however it is my final one. Little did I know that when I began my MedTL degree that I would be offered a permanent position part way through the course. Having completed three of the compulsory subjects for the NSW DET, this will be my last.

It has been a struggle for me to get started in this subject, as I believe was the case for one subject not so long ago. More study, teamed with a new position in a totally foreign school and area has been slightly overwhelming. However I am confident that in time, it will all come together just fine.

Last week I started to read Chapter one of our set text 'Visionary: Leaders for Information', however I got no further than the first page because I felt bombarded with new information and I wasn't 'using' the information I was reading in any beneficial context. So I stopped. Today I decided that no matter what it took I was going to get through that chapter, and I did. Similarly to the main idea of the first chapter, I had a clear purpose and an end product and I made sure that I remained focused on both in order to achieve what I had set out to do (finish the first chapter!).

One of the main things that stood out to me in Chapter one, was the constant reference to change. Change is inevitable, it is going to happen whether we like it or not, whether we are willing to embrace it or try to fight it; it is the only constant in life and in learning. As change so readily occurs, so must our ability to reflect on the practices that our organisation operates by/within, in order to reflect the change that is occurring and ensure that we adjust our purpose, processes and goals to meet the needs of our clients.

It is important that as TLs and educational leaders that we have a firm idea of where we are going and what we need to do to get there. It is also just as important that we don't attempt to do this as sole entities but rather with the cooperation of all stakeholders (including parents, students and staff).

I know I want to make a recognised and effective contribution to the learning outcomes of the students in my school. However, I don't think this can be done instantaneously. I believe it is something that needs to worked on over time, in collaboration with others.

In summary, reading this chapter has taught me that as an educational leader it is possible for me to make a difference to the learning outcomes of students. It is not about power and a hierarchical system, rather creating positive and effective relationships that exhibit respect and are driven by inspiration and motivation. In a technologically evolving world that is constantly going through rigorous changes, it is important that our purpose and goal are continually reviewed and we reflect on our current practices to ensure that they meet the modern context. We need to keep the channels of communication open and inviting and above all ensure that our services are flexible and are meeting the changing needs of our clients. Throughout the process, keep your eyes on the prize!

Sometimes I am not sure if what I write makes sense to anybody else or if I have actually grasped the concept that I was meant to, throughout reading these texts. But I am trying my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment